Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5X Macro Lens
Ease of use: ★★★★
Recently, I had the pleasure of testing Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5X Macro Lens. The lens is not as tricky to use as many people say. Simply bring the lens very close to the object you want to photograph. Using your camera’s Live View function, keep on moving closer to the object until it looks completely in focus on your camera’s LCD screen.
I tried the MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite Flash as well. (I will write about it in my next blog post). It works great, and looks cool; but, at the end of the day, I’m still not a fan of direct flash. But, it’s nothing more than a personal preference.
You can find this lens’ technical specs on so many websites, but I find the spec on Amazon comprehensive and easy to read.
My personal suggestions are:
- Don’t overthink it. Experiment. Move it closer and further from the object you want to photograph till it looks nice and sharp on your camera’s LCD screen.
- Since the slightest shake will give your image a movement blur, please consider using a tripod and a remote trigger.
- To make your images less generic, play with your camera’s settings . . . use foam boards, reflectors, flags . . . (I did . . . when I shot the images at 1X . . . not when I zoomed in closer). And, if you like, pre-process the imageson Lightroom &/or Photoshop as well.
Lots of thanks to Canon Professional Services for letting me to test this lens.
I love this lens! It might take a while; but, the moment I can come up with a long-enough list of objects and concepts I want to photograph using this lens, I’d definitely love to have it in my Pelican case.
things I used to create these images
- Canon EOS 5DS Digital SLR
- Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5X Macro Lens
- SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB CompactFlash Memory Card UDMA 7 Speed Up To 160MB/s
- Manfrotto MK290XTA3-3WUS 290 Xtra 3-Way Head Kit
☆☆☆ Amazon Associates ☆☆☆
Neither sponsored nor endorsed by Amazon.com
[what this means]